The best thing about having pink hair is that everywhere I go, little girls point, stare, and smile. Today, while stopped at a traffic light, I noticed a little girl in the car next to me waving out her window. I smiled back, and she shouted, “I like your pink hair!” Her mom was mortified, poor thing, but I didn’t mind. I never intended my hair to be a huge feminist statement, but I know I don’t fit the beauty standards that Hollywood and the fashion industry are pushing, so it makes me happy when little girls look at someone like me and see a different way to be. And if they feel confident enough to step outside their box and give a stranger a compliment, more power to ’em!
Yep, I’ve got the warm fuzzies today. So, here’s what I’m loving online this week.
- WTF is Inspiration Anyway?: Ellie and debunk the muses once and for all.
- Don’t Let the Man Get You Down: What is the machine? Who is the man? Know your enemy!
- The Freelance Life with Lauren Orsini: Lauren pretty much built her career by hand, and she’s got some excellent advice for others looking to do the same.
- Call for Submissions: Roxane Gay is curating writing by feminists of color for Salon.com. Submit your work and be part of the conversation.
- My friend Beth shares her favorite sources of yoga poses for people with disabilities. She’s a real sweetheart, and I appreciate her gentle wisdom!
- 39 Things We’ll Miss About Patriarchy, Which is Dead — It’s a magical mix of hilarity and very deep sadness.
- Know what I love almost as much as gay marriage? Elaborate gay marriage proposals!
- Did you know there is a subreddit called ExamplesofGood? It’s full of inspiring stories that will brighten your day.
Have a beautiful weekend. Remember to be kind.