Hello, and happy Saturday!
It’s a gorgeous Saturday afternoon here, and I’ve spent the first half of my day journaling about what exactly it is I’m trying to do with my life, and it comes down to that tried and true advice from Ghandi, “Be the change you want to see in the world.”
I spend a lot of time thinking about my fantasy world in which there is no war, people are nice to each other, and everyone has enough to eat and a safe place to sleep. So, today I’m asking myself, “What can I do to help create that world?” I know I can’t do it on my own, but every little effort counts, right?
So, what’s your fantasy world look like, and how can you help create it? You don’t have to tell me. Just do it.
And now, here are some of my favorite bits from the internet this week.
- What are the effects of online harassment? Anita Sarkeesian, Kate Miltner, and Laurie Penny talk about their experiences and the consequences of living in a culture of sexism. If you click only one link from today’s Saturday special, make it this one.
- Chelsea Manning is a trans woman formerly known as Bradley.
- Why doesn’t the general public understand science? Welcome to the Age of Denial
Phew! These are heavy topics, right? That’s ok, we can lighten up a bit. For example …
- Good news: I’ve added some new online yoga classes to my schedule!
- This is a Bubbline Appreciation Post and Gallery (Spoiler alert here, as they discuss the plots of a few episodes, but it’s still excellent.)
- Maybe You’re the Reason Anime is Dying. My friend Lauren is brilliantly nerdy. you’ve got to see her take on anime hipster bullshit.
- Oh, and have you seen the new Ghost in the Shell? Because OMG it’s SO GOOD. I watched the first episode last week, and I’m dying for more. And for those who say Major Kusanagi looks too young the new trailer, that’s because this takes place before she joined Section 9, so you’re seeing one of her earlier prosthetic bodies. No, they did not dumb her down or make her wimpy. She’s as badass as ever, and I am still in love with her.
And last but not least, I forgot my phone.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and be nice to each other, ok?