Has your yoga teacher been talking about sutras and some guy named Patanjali lately? If you want to know more about the philosophy behind your yoga practice, join me on my journey through the sutras with a new reflective essay on them each week.
For example …
- 1.1: Beginning the Journey (and beginning again)
- 1.2: Quieting the Mind
- 1.3: The Unchanging Self
- 1.4: Keep Your Head On
- 1.5 & 1.6: The Importance of Vocabulary
- 1.7: Where’d You Learn That?
- 1.8: Don’t Let a Misconception Ruin Your Day
- 1.9: Be Careful What You Believe
When I started practicing yoga 14 years ago, my teacher often suggested that we read the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali or the Bhagavad Gita. But as a beginning student, I felt overwhelmed by the sheer number of translations out there, not to mention most of the writing seemed pretty dry to me. I’m still a far cry from an expert on the sutras, but by sharing what I’ve learned with you, I hope to point you in the direction of wisdom.