“These days, I strive to be a bitch, because not being one sucks. Not being a bitch means not having your voice heard. Not being a bitch means you agree with all the bullshit. Not being a bitch means you don’t appreciate all the other bitches who have come before you. Not being a bitch means since Eve ate that apple, we will forever have to pay for her bitchiness with complacence, obedience, acceptance, closed eyes, and opened legs.”
–Margaret Cho, from the forward to Bitchfest
The best thing about having pink hair is that everywhere I go, little girls point, stare, and smile. Today, while stopped at a traffic light, I noticed a little girl in the car next to me waving out her window. I smiled back, and she shouted, “I like your pink hair!” Her mom was mortified, poor thing, but I didn’t mind. I never intended my hair to be a huge feminist statement, but I know I don’t fit the beauty standards that Hollywood and the fashion industry are pushing, so it makes me happy when little girls look at someone like me and see a different way to be. And if they feel confident enough to step outside their box and give a stranger a compliment, more power to ’em!
Yep, I’ve got the warm fuzzies today. So, here’s what I’m loving online this week. 🙂
- WTF is Inspiration Anyway?: Ellie and debunk the muses once and for all.
- Don’t Let the Man Get You Down: What is the machine? Who is the man? Know your enemy!
- The Freelance Life with Lauren Orsini: Lauren pretty much built her career by hand, and she’s got some excellent advice for others looking to do the same.
- Call for Submissions: Roxane Gay is curating writing by feminists of color for Salon.com. Submit your work and be part of the conversation.
- My friend Beth shares her favorite sources of yoga poses for people with disabilities. She’s a real sweetheart, and I appreciate her gentle wisdom!
- 39 Things We’ll Miss About Patriarchy, Which is Dead — It’s a magical mix of hilarity and very deep sadness.
- Know what I love almost as much as gay marriage? Elaborate gay marriage proposals!
- Did you know there is a subreddit called ExamplesofGood? It’s full of inspiring stories that will brighten your day.
Have a beautiful weekend. Remember to be kind.
This week, wherever you go, keep your eyes peeled for shiny objects, colorful knick knacks and curious tidbits.
Maybe you notice a piece of paper fluttering through a parking lot and pick it up. Is it a love note? A grocery list? A recipe?
Perhaps you see a glint of silver on the sidewalk. Is it a coin? A lost earring? A tiny toy gun meant to fit in a little plastic hand?
Inspiration and opportunity are largely related to simple awareness and openness. Countless ideas flit past us daily, and the ones we grasp are just the ones we’re open to.
Ellie is a human magpie and always finds odds and ends wherever she goes. This seems to be a combination of awareness and luck that leads to her best finds. She chose to make a bit of art with some of her findings while I keep mine all displayed on a shelf in my office or sometimes give them away like this little guy I gave to another friend:
Keep your eyes open this week, and see what odds and ends you can find.
to believe in the
decorated painted and
the unmaking of the face
the way each woman moves
what happens when we stop
mimicking one another
stop the spread
of homogenous non-sex
feminism is not
the refusal to be beautiful
but declining to be
Beautiful in a way that’s somewhere between Dolly Parton’s town tramp and, I don’t know, someone outrageously classy. Diana Vreeland?
And yet, wholly beyond both of those ideas of beauty.
Beautiful in an alien way. Unearthly. Willfully. Intentionally. Artistically.
Finally, I leave you wit this, the most adorable thing I’ve seen so far today.