Hey hey, babycakes! I hope you had a good week. Mine was … weird. Going on a social media fast revealed to me that I may actually have a problem. I avoided time-wasting sites pretty successfully throughout my work hours, but once I was off the clock, I pretty much binged on Twitter. I’m wondering what I should do about this, if anything, and I’m thinking I need to continue keeping my social media time to a minimum during my work hours (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and also try to reel it in after work.
On the bright side, I got a TON of writing done this week, and I can now offer you this bonus post full of links and scraps from the internet, which I found charming, inspiring, educational or otherwise entertaining.
- Minnie Driver reading rejected race horse names. No kidding. So funny.
- J.E. Fishman offers tips for writing page-turners. These are geared toward murder mystery novels, but I think they apply to any kind of story. Suspense keeps it going!
- Designers turn client feedback into art — hilarious!
- Redbubble: I found this really cool art blog by searching for “clit art.” No reason. (Yeah, it’s safe for work.)
- 9 Rules for Success by Amelia Barr: this is cool, but i also feel like “who is this lady…?” (Forgive me for not being familiar with her work. I will consider correcting that, but we can’t all be expected to read everything.)
- This site makes me laugh. Don’t judge.
- The Face of Heaven so Fine by Kat Howard — This is a gorgeous story. It’s a perfectly short read, so you really have no excuse for not reading it.
- P.O.S. says Fuck Your Stuff I love this, yet I find it faintly frightening, which is probably how you know I’m old. It’s like punk rock in a way, right? Anarchy in the UK, only … in the US.
- Apparently there’s going to be a new Monty Python movie? But it involves Robin Williams, so I’m faintly upset about that. I just don’t think he’s on their level.
- The ultimate internet mashup.
- The 9 best books on reading and writing.
- These guys did a surprisingly good job of enacting this scene from Transmetropolitan. (Kinda NSFW) I mean, no one will ever be a perfect Spider Jerusalem (rawr!) but I appreciate the effort.
- Here’s Zach Braff being adorable.
- Things exploding. Things. Exploding.
- Against the Tide: I am absolutely entranced by this LPB documentary on the Cajuns in Louisiana, but I can’t find a good clip from it online to share! It’s weird seeing other people talk about the same things my grandmother experienced like it’s ancient history.
Oh, and I made what I believe is the perfect playlist. It’s called “The Making of a Dirty Feminist,” and it’s epic. You’ll see what I mean.
And now you know what I did while I wasn’t on Twitter. Go me!
Have a lovely Saturday, dears. Stay warm. Xoxo!